Friday, November 30, 2007

To Tree or Not to Tree

That is the question.

Now, it's not a question of live versus fake Xmas trees... it's a question of putting one up at all. I have a fake tree. Yes, I know, it's made of plastic and one day it may end up in a land fill. But Larry and I are opposed to supporting an industry that kills trees. I'd MUCH rather buy a live tree every year and plant it in my yard. I did that. We have a tree that is roughly as old as our marriage. It was in a pot on my porch in Michigan. I brought it to Colorado and planted it in the yard in our new house. Hurray. But I digress...

The question is whether I put up my fake tree or not. I remember a day - before Ally-cat, before Hobbser-bear... when there was Ditka and I and a little house in Berkley with barely any furniture... a year when I had 2 trees. One filled with all the cheesy ornaments I bought in college, and a few from my childhood. And the other was a tribute to my Greatgram, who crocheted beautiful snowflakes. Ah. Those were the days. Or should I say, that was one year.

The next year, I had another dog, and a roommate, and more furniture and only room for one tree. And Hobbes still managed to knock it over.

We didn't put up a tree last year because the POS rental house we lived in was too small for us. Besides, the tree was buried in the garage. I only managed to squeak out one little xmas decoration and I put up no lights.

Now that we have our own home again, and I am finding spaces for lights and snowmen... I keep looking for a place to put a tree. But there are 4 wagging tails in the house, sometimes 6. There is a dog who shall remain nameless (Hobbes) who likes to pull down glass balls from the tree, bring them to me and go CRUNCH on them. There is also a cat. Cats like cords, and sparkly things.

And we have rooms full of furniture. I won't put a tree by the front window, that's just begging tails to knock everything off, or even knock the whole thing over. We have a relatively empty spare room... but no one hangs out there. Who wants a tree where you can't see it? I thought of putting it near the fireplace. Larry said BAH HUMBUG! Larry wants to cram it into a corner by the dining room table. Sigh. I don't even know what kind of ornaments I have anymore. HECK, they travelled 1200 miles and sat in boxes for 2 years now, I don't even know which ones aren't BROKEN! I'd love to put one up and see what silly things I have... like my Chewbacca ornament, and my Seuss ornaments... and that laundry pin reindeer we all made in the first grade, and old shrinky dinks... I want to put one up just to see what it will look like. Maybe I can barricade it behind the dining table so the dog tails can't wreck it. So I am still debating... Do I cram one up somewhere just to have one? Just to tempt fate that when Larry brings the GP pups into the house that they won't wreak havoc on it? That the cat won't climb it? That Hobbes won't meticulously pull every ornament off the lower branches, and bring them to me to play fetch? To tree or not to tree...
Post a Comment