Thursday, December 6, 2007

My Stash

So, this is my last week at MOI. And it's not the first time I have left a job, and leaving is never easy. I have met some of the greatest people in my life through different career opportunities. And in leaving, you sometimes find out what you should have known all along - how much impact you have at your job. Obviously, I made some sort of impression on the friends I have worked with since I moved to Colorado.

Every company has its culture. At Detroit Diesel, we had "bagel" files and top ten lists. At Applied Process, we had Dr. Kathy's comfort food. At Alcoa we had the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus come for visits. At MOI - we have pot luck lunches! And we have some creative and yummy cooks. They hosted a pot luck in my honor since it was my last week. Prior to the pot luck, several people asked me what my favorite food was. Favorite? I like it all!! I froze and responded "Macaroni and Cheese!" When I got that weird look like I must be joking, I said, "OK, then Ice Cream!"

Well, we had a little of both. Some mac n cheese for the pot luck, as well as ice cream with my three favorite Cold Stone toppings: white chocolate chips, caramel and whipped cream. Fabulous.

But the best of all was my going away gift. As a consolation that I might not have any potlucks at my next job , they gave me a can of microwavable EasyMac. And then, to tide me over, presumably all winter... everyone chipped in and brought me a box of macaroni and cheese! If they are trying to guilt me into staying, it's almost working!

All kidding aside, the mac n cheese stash almost made me cry. I will miss working with all of my MOI friends, but as I have done in the past... I keep my old friends and get to go off and make a bunch of new ones. It's another chapter in the adventure. And this time... there's mac n cheese involved! Yummy for me!