Thursday, October 16, 2008

Lost Data

SO, I got a new computer this week. It'll take me a month until it's working the way I want.

I also have a 750GB back up storage drive. I've already used it and plan on running weekly backups to it.

I lost a lot of data. 4 years worth. I, thankfully, backed up our financial info on Larry's computer and pieced that back together with no holes in it. I also found a pile of back up discs from over the years. Unfortunately the most recent was almost a year ago. As I started digging through those - I managed to save our wedding/honeymoon/Ireland pictures. Fyew. I also have lots of other images that could never have been recreated.

Then I found the disc, the one, that mattered as much as the wedding disc. The one that has farm and dog pictures on it. The disc is scratched. I've tried 7 times to get it to read. All the "A" pictures were retrievable. That means I have all my pictures from my Ally-cat. I miss my silly girl, and am glad I have pictures to remember her.

The images freeze at one titled "Baby D"

I can't get Ditka's pictures off this disc. It was all I wanted to find. And they are hiding there, trapped under a scratch. And trapped in my own mind. I really wanted to be able to see them. It's just a reminder of what I can't get back.

This song, however, makes me think of him. From Sarah McLachlan's "Answer"


"If it takes my whole life
I won't break, I won't bend
It will all be worth it
Worth it in the end
'Cause I can only tell you what I know
That I need you in my life
When the stars have all burned out
You'll still be burning so bright

Cast me gently
Into morning
For the night has been unkind"