Sunday, July 26, 2009

Summer Update

Just a quick summer update on fun things on the farm. It's summer in full swing - that means Farmer's Markets, running irrigation, flies everywhere, and animals seeking shade...



This is Scout kitty, one of our barn cats. NO, it isn't Schroed. This is Scout - she was confounded by the fencing in the garden. All she wanted was to get to me for some loves and pets. I love Boo Radley and Scout - they let us know when they need water and food, and always check up on us for affection. I don't think these two are going to run away. I think it's more likely they are going to turn into house pets. We'll see!



Our watermelon plant has a flower! Will it give us melons?

The turkeys are now on their own. Turkeys tend to be pretty self reliant, and don't need us to fill their water and food for them often, as they go looking for their own stuff. They had a field day after last night's rain, the field was full of bugs. I can't imagine what it would be like without birds eating the bugs! And the turkeys, well, they just let themselves right into our back yard.


These are our current pen chickens - broilers and egg layers, about a month old. The layers will stay here until they can eat adult chicken food and move in with the rest of the hens. The broilers will be gone in a month! You can see the Silver Lakenvelders, which I plan on breeding someday. And then there is my mystery bird!



Is it BEAR? Is is a MOUNTAIN LION! Is it a WOLF?? No, it's an Atlas footprint. That's my foot. And that's the size of Atlas' paw! We have big dogs!
Post a Comment