Monday, June 7, 2010

June Update - Good Things Are Coming

It's June, and though we have had some severe failures this year (mice eating our seeds, nothing starting in soil blocks, and a giant sunflower in the greenhouse that we have no idea where it came from?) We are anticipating some wins this year too (though the failures can be tough to get over - like losing over 20 laying hens, and 12 or more new chickens...)

So on to the positive...


And they said it couldn't be done. Shortly after Bridget's arrival, we noticed her broken jaw and called in the vet. He gave her some pain killers and an antibiotic for her jaw and the pneumonia... and he told us you could never get a 5 week old Galloway to bottle feed. Really? Don't give us a challenge, especially when that challenge involves handling mammals. Yeah, she eagerly drinks 4 big bottles a day, and has taken to butting me in the arse when she wants more. Cute, but not for long as she just keeps getting bigger!


This is probably the most expensive shade structure we could ever imagine. But honesltly, the image of the wild, untamed beast hiding in the jungle, is really just our new truck in the pasture. The sheep were sleeping under it.

Speaking of sleeping. I managed to catch not one, but TWO dogs under the bushes here. You can only see Atlas in this photo, but Athena is behind him. Goliath was asleep in another shady spot, and Hobbes was following me around. What lazy butts!
Some other critters enjoying the shade of our backyard bushes - our Barred Rocks and Araucanas. I am not sure how we are ever going to convince them to go live in the chicken house. They have branches to purch on, pine needles to take dirt bathes in, protection from wind, rain and sun - and their protector dogs are never too far behind. But I don't want to try collecting eggs under there!
So some positives, that I hope stay that way... even though the garden is struggling (not much growing in the greenhouse, LOTS of cool stuff outside the greenhouse, but, as I hear, half of that got washed away today when someone let loose the irrigation ditch faster than the ditch could move it, and now our pasture is swamped again. I love free water, but how about the quantity!!) Anyhow, so my squashes, eggplants and beans are all washed down the Great Chicken Stink River Tributary System) What isn't getting washed out is my strawberry/raspberry patch and my fruit tree orchard. I did a quick survey of the trees in the orchard, and I have verifiable fruits budding on my cherries, apples, pears, and this below - PEACHES! Just waiting for the plums and apricots to catch up, and I'll have a full slate of food! I am thinking of pies, jams, cobblers... oh, the list is endless! YUM!