Monday, June 28, 2010

Not very good pictures...

So it's officially summer now. And it's hot and dry in Colorado. There are forest fires. Sometimes they seem to happen out of no where, and in moments, entire homes can be lost. I am not sure if this one caused anyone to lose their home, but it was close. I went inside to get the camera to take a shot, and obviously the fire crews were working on it, because the smoke and the red glow were less intensive by the time I got my camera. As the days went on, the smoke lessened and turned to just a bit of smoke. Too close for comfort for me!





And just a few shots around the farm. Here is Goliath, rolling in the grass...



And his brother, Atlas, who is always watching over his sheep...

And this is a picture of one of our Ancona chickens. This one is special, because I hatched her! She has a "sister" too! these are, so far, the only straight breeds I have hatched. I know that their mother was an Ancona because the eggs were white, and at the time, the only roosters we had were Anconas. I currently have a hen and a roo that are about 12 weeks old, and another hen in the barn that is about 3 weeks old. Larry calls these "frankenchickens." I am sure the 2 older ones had an Ancona for a mother, because the eggs were white. It is likely that their father may have been a Silver Lakenvelder, but still, could have been an Ancona.

The younger one in the barn came from a brown egg, so it could have had a Silver Lakenvelder for a mother, a golden comet or even a black star. we'll never know. And I am expecting 3 more eggs to hatch in about 3-4 days. Brown eggs, so the mom could be anything, but the father can only be Ancona or Silver Lakenvelder. We'll see what we get! It should be fun!