Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Work Work Work

I haven't taken any pictures lately for an update... I'll try to get some soon. But here's a short tick list of what's been going on.

  • Marlow is all better. Maybe too better? (I know, that isn't grammatically correct, just go with it) He's been pushing over fencing, getting out of the pasture, into the orchard, and knocking us around with his horns. Maybe I liked it when he was a little under the weather. OK, no, not really. He had pink eye, in both his eyes, and we've cleared that up. So he's back to his usual self. He was hanging out with me the other day, with his head in my lap, just wanting me to pet him. Biggest. Dog. Ever.
  • Bridget is also much better. She's happily drinking from the bottle, and eating grass on her own! Her jaw still clicks, but most of the swelling has gone down, and it isn't hot to the touch, but it sounds like some parts are still healing. it makes her stick her tongue out a bit.
  • We killed our second truck. I decided to go against all of my better instincts and pull a chunk of money from our savings account to buy a decent, 4x4 truck for the farm. We still got it stuck in the corral this weekend!
  • We ripped out all the corral fencing over the weekend, so we can put better fencing in its place. 5' woven wire with high tensile strands, to be exact. I took a look at some of the old franken-fencing and can't believe it kept ANYTHING in, not to mention 2 rambunctious dogs that really want to get on the other side to catch those coyotes!
  • Our greenhouse is a bust this year. We can't get seeds to start in soil blocks. We had mice in there eating seeds. So far, all I have growing are things I planted OUTSIDE the greenhouse. WHAT a freaking BUMMER! But I do have lots of radishes, lettuces and peas growing outside!
  • We have mulched half our strawberry patch, and planted a few new strawberries to fill in some gaps. It might not be this year, but the strawberries are winning the battle over the bindweed, and someday, that patch is going to RULE. We did manage to fix the fencing around it, and put in a gate on the proper side of the fence.
  • I ordered some fun new food plants to try, and so far am marginally successful. The hazelnuts seem to be growing, as does one currant and one honeyberry. Replacements are on their way for the ones that have died, and I am hoping to have some luck with the replacement kiwis, that died within 3 days. (Also, the magnolia and forsythias are doing well, but they are only there for shade and wind coverage!)
  • We should have baby turkeys coming REALLY soon. I can't wait!! And hopefully, 3 more baby chicks this weekend.
  • Last but not least, I am literally BREATHS away from posting our website. Just waiting on the other half to get the server set up in the basement so I can post all the files over. I'm looking forward to our web presence!
OK... any questions?
Post a Comment