Sunday, September 26, 2010

New Pioneers

I have a new addiction. Thankfully, it has fruitful results for us all. But yeah, I am addicted to canning. It has all around made me addicted to preserving the fruits (pun intended) of the harvest season. I have also taken to freezing fruits, breads, etc. I've already made 6 loaves of zucchini bread to freeze. I still have 2 large zukes from the garden, and more on the vine... I need another zuke recipe!



Shown on the shelf here: Dill pickle spears, dill pickle slices, bread and butter pickle slices, grape jam, apricot jam, peach jam, canned peaches, canned spiced peaches, peach pie filling, cherry jam, plum jam, pickle relish, strawberry jam, raspberry jam, blackberry jam, apple sauce, apple pie filling, pear jam, canned pears, raspberry chocolate sauce, peach BBQ sauce, salsa, peach salsa, strawberry pie filling.

I think I may have missed a few. I have used up every jar I had - including 3 dozen I bought new (which was silly of me) 3.5 dozen I bought from the thrift store, and at least 3 or 4 dozen that my father-in-law brought over from Larry's grandfather's house. Apparently, his aunt has more... our tomatoes aren't ripe yet, but I am envisioning canning some tomatoes and tomato sauce, and more salsas.

With all of the above I have used apples from our orchard, cherries from Sy's tree, peaches from Mick, Tomatoes from the tomato guy, honey from a local farm, grapes from a neighbor, and all the following from Gino and Doris from Little House Farm: apricots, peaches, plums, pears, cucumbers, tomatoes, hot peppers, and a second or third dose of all of the above!