Monday, April 18, 2011

Turkeys, Turkey House and New Trees

I hatched my own little turkeys!! If you think 21 days feels like a long wait to hatch baby chicks, turkeys take 28 days. One more week to wait for those eggs to hatch. But I finally hatched my first two turkeys. Now I want to get a bigger incubator, so I can hatch more than three at a time. One egg was a dud, but the other two made it. With 2 breeds of hen and 4 breeds of tom, I didn't get a straight breed. These both look like they have a little Bourbon Red in them, and I am suspecting one is Bourbon and Black Spanish, and the other is Bourbon and Blue Slate. Since I have 8 Bourbon hens, the likelihood is that Bourbon will be common. I do need to settle on one breed, and stick with them moving forward. It'll probably be Bourbon, but I'd like to try Blue Slate or Royal Palm, since they are more rare.



We got our Turkey House built, but it isn't complete. Still some more trim to put up, In have to finish painting the trim, and we need to shingle the roof. I'd also like to put in a window for light and for venting. We did put in the egg boxes this weekend, the only trick is... the turkeys don't want to live there!! So until we start to raise young turkeys in there who will stay, it is the home to Fang, and my Blue Andalusian and Speckled Sussex hens - until they get their own homes!


I bought a bunch of young trees from the conservation district - and I planted a wind break for the orchard. I didn't do such a hot job of staying in straight lines (I kept turning around to plant the back row, so it went off the portable fence line, instead of the orchard fence line) Anyhow, in 20 years, this should protect my orchard from losing fruit and flowers in the wind!!