Thursday, November 24, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

We seem to spend a lot of time thinking about food this time of year. And since we are farmers and ranchers, I guess we think about it a lot!

But Thanksgiving isn't just about gorging on yummy dishes. It's about giving thanks. So I want to take a moment to do that here.

I want to give thanks to our birds. They lay us wonderful eggs, provide us with meat for our dinners, allow me to hatch dozens of cute little baby chicks, and on occasion - hatch a few of their own!

I want to thank our sheep for being such good mamas to their little lambs, for being so quirky, even on their bad days. For letting chickens ride on their backs in the cold, and again, for putting wonderful food on our table.

I want to thank our barn and our coops for keeping everyone safe and warm as the winter approaches.
I want to thank my family. We give each other grey hair and bounce ideas off each other. And then there is my little girl who reminds me that sometimes the only time is NOW, that things aren't what they seem, and that boxes are a lot of fun. My family has taught me to learn new things (canning and sewing), to appreciate what we have, and to work hard for the things we deserve.
I also want to give thanks to my wonderful day job, that I truly enjoy, surrounded by people I love working with, and for helping me keep a roof over my family's head. And I am thankful for my husband's new job opportunity that he is so excited about.

And last, but far from least, I want to thank our customers. We have some of the best customers in the world. They are patient with us through our struggles, they understand that some things are out of our control and that most things can not be adjusted quickly. They have survived with us through egg shortages every winter, turkeys being too big or too small,  and our vegetabl garden generally being a bust. We have some of the best customers in the entire world, and as things are winding down for the year, and I start thinking about planning for next year, I hope that you will stick with us. You are part of the larger Long Shadow Farm family, and we appreciate you very much. Happy Thanksgiving!