Wednesday, February 1, 2012

I Can Smell Spring in the Air

I want to apologize firstly for not being able to post many pictures lately...

My fancy camera is in the shop being repaired. My laptop has been dead since summer. I'm a little short on my normal technological devices I have come to depend on. If something amazing happens (like the new lambs we are hoping will be born this weekend) I'll find some way to get photos!

In the meantime, planning for spring is in full gear. We finally got our large grain bin fitted with a new sliding door that will make it easier to fill buckets with feed. This will eliminate the need to the large mallet to open and close the old auger slot. That'll be nice.

I placed the order for all my seeds. And even managed to plant some of the few cold weather seeds I had leftover from last year. Here's to hoping we can grow something this year! We need to set up our heat mats and trays and start some seeds indoors too. I think we need to move that to the basement this year, to keep them out of the reach of toddler hands! But she can certainly help me plant seeds. She's a great little helper!

I am also getting ready to dust off my incubator. Roosterman and his ladies (my Speckled Sussex roo and hens) are going to be segregated for a while so I can hatch some more. Unfortunately, our most prolific roo passed away this past week. He has had an infection in his foot since summer time, and lately he hasn't been himself. It just didn't heal, and took its toll. So we won't be having any surprise chicks with little half-Polish poofs on their heads this year. But no worries, there are lots of daughters of Fang hanging around that we hatched last year!

I even, maybe foolishly, placed another order with the conservation association for some trees. I am still hoping to get a wind break growing on the west side of the orchard. We have irrigation up there now, and I know to completely fence the area off so Moose doesn't eat my new trees!!! Hopefully this year they will stick!

So I am looking forward to the planting, the hatching and all the new beginnings that spring has to offer. Happy February, everyone! Now let's hope the groundhog has good news for us...