Wednesday, October 10, 2012

What happened to Fall?

Autumn is my favorite season, always has been. I'm a northern girl, so the Fall brings a break from hot, stifling weather. It brings such great colors to the trees, and I miss the orange of the oak trees and the reds of the maples now that I live in Colorado.

I spend all summer waiting for "sweater weather", and it seems we have skipped over fall completely and have jumped into cold winter weather. One day, we were looking for the sun screen, the next we were lighting fires and coiling up hoses to put away for the winter.  It's such a shame!

Fall on the farm brings lots of work. There is harvesting to be done (of course, that's only a problem when your sheep DON'T eat your garden, first!), there are projects to flush out irrigation lines and get them ready for winter, putting away hoses and mobile fencing, and making sure barn doors seal up tight for the winter.

As the opposite to Spring, where we start airing out our laundry and letting everything back out into the warm sun, Fall is where we start packing things away. It's also where we start looking at that long winter break that's ahead of us with a kid of awe. Instead of a time of birth and renewal, Fall brings about the end of the cycle. We finish our last batch of meat birds, we start looking to saying goodbye to most of our turkeys, and the work load starts to wane.

It's an interesting time of year, but usually I enjoy the cool weather, and spending days making pumpkin bread with my daughter. It got cold a bit too quick for me this year, but as a northern girl, I'll stop my complaints there. Anything is better than triple digit temperatures!

Our freezer is full of meat, which we hope to share with folks who also want to stock their freezer's for the winter. I'm making batches of pumpkin ice cream and pumpkin butter, and enjoying every minute of it. It might be a bit chilly outside, but it's a great time to spend in the kitchen baking and canning. Only about a month to go before we say goodbye to our turkeys, and before we start to slow things down around the farm for our winter planning season.