Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Lambs!

Fall Lambing season has begun. We have five little lambs gamboling around on the farm.


This is mama Freyja, and her ram lamb, Discord. I had my eyes on Betty to drop first, but Freyja surprised me. She's a first time mom, just over a year and a half old. She is the daughter of Angel, and Jason Stathram.  She is a great new mom, super attentive, and stays close to her little one. He is doing great!



Next, we have Betty's Lightning Streak (standing) and Rainbow Dash (laying down). Betty is a veteran mom. She is 6.5 years old, these are her 9th and 10th lambs. Betty is the only ewe we have from one of our original sheep, Laverne. She's not a friendly sheep, but she's an amazing mom.

Also, say Hi to D-Day ((left) and Otter (right) who are also in the photo! Hi Mooey cows!





Next we have Clarice and her ram lamb, Big Mac.  Clarice is the daughter of Peppermint Patty, granddaughter of Shirley, our other original sheep.  Clarice is almost 5 years old. She has only given us 3 lambs, and only gives us one at a time. Big Mac looks possibly like an exception, but typically her lambs are very small. She's doing a great job with this little guy, but mama is still on our cull list. Once this little man weans from her, she'll be sent away.



The most recent addition is Dancer's Tank. Dancer is also almost 5, she is the daughter of Jan, who is no longer with us, and the only kept offspring of Jan. She has given us 8 lambs since she's been with us. This little dude is thriving with his mommy. 



So you may wonder about the weird lamb names. Yup, I pick a theme each year - I've had themes like cartoon characters, Greek and Norse mythology, TV characters and even holiday cartoon characters. This year, we are Bronying up and using names from My Little Pony. I need to analyze some of the mamas whose offspring I want to keep, and save the good names like Pinkie Pie and Applejack as the ones I want to keep. That being said. male characters in My Little Pony are hard to come by, and creativity and stretching are going to be par for the course. And yet, Weird Al Yankovich has a cameo appearance in a show (which is hilarious, by the way) and his character name is Cheese Sandwich. I will be using that name!!  A little easier to pronounce and spell that Skeggold, that I had to use during the Norse Mythology phase, so I am looking forward to some creative and interesting names.

More lambs are to come, almost everyone is visibly pregnant. I have my bets that Judy is going to give birth next, so let's see... Hoping for most of them to drop before the temperature does.
Post a Comment